EBICS will develop regular outreach programs to the K12 community at each partner institution with the goal being to introduce students to careers in the STEM fields at an early age. By providing such early exposure, more students will be likely to consider such a field for academic study and eventually as a profession.
Each EBICS partner institution will engage with ongoing efforts on their campus as well as create innovative outreach programs to the K12 community.
Some sample programs include:
- Hosting an annual Open House with hands on science experiments, engineering competitions and campus tours.
- Providing Lab tours with high school students and exposure to current undergraduate and graduate students.
- Encouraging EBICS graduate students and post-docs to act as judges in local high school science and math competitions.
- Hosting week-long summer camps for middle school and elementary school aged children on campus.
- Providing teacher education during the summer months so that the newest scientific data and technology can be shared with students during the academic year.